West African chickpea stew with peanut butter M
West African chickpea stew with peanut butter recipe.
1 yellow onion
1-2 green chillies (adjust the heat to taste)
2 garlic cloves
100 ml peanut butter (preferably creamy)
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
400 g pre-cooked chickpeas
400 g leaf spinach (frozen or fresh)
400 g crushed tomatoes
2 tsp. chilli powder or paprika powder
100 ml water
Salt and pepper
Oil for frying
1. Thaw the spinach if you use frozen, drain using a strainer and squeeze out excess liquid with a fork.
2. Finely chop onions, chilli and garlic. Heat oil and fry onions, garlic and chilli for 3-4 min.
3. Add tomato paste, chilli powder (or paprika powder for a milder version) and fry some more. Turn in the peanut butter and stir until the peanut butter dissolves and you get a thick sauce.
4. Add crushed tomato, water, salt, pepper and mix. Let the sauce simmer on low heat under a lid for 20-30 min. If the sauce is too thick, dilute with more water.
5. Add chickpeas and spinach and let simmer for an additional 15-20 minutes.
Recommended products for this recipe
Learn more about...
Newest recipes from our blog
The book shelf: