Swedish Flygande Jakob M
Swedish Flygande Jakob recipe. Flygande Jakob means "flying Jakob" in Swedish and is an everyday dish that the whole family can enjoy. A modern classic within the Swedish kitchen, Flygande Jakob is a creamy casserole with peanuts, spicy ketchup and bananas. This version is made vegetarian by replacing chicken with halloumi, but any kind of vegetarian substitute of your choice will do the trick (e.g. quorn or soy meat).
1 yellow onion
400 g halloumi cheese
300 ml cooking cream, 15-20% fat
100 ml ketchup
salt and pepper
120 g vegetarian bacon (e.g. soy bacon)
50 g peanuts
Rice for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 225°Celsius.
2. Cook rice according to instructions on the package.
3. Peel and chop the onion. Cut halloumi cheese into slices.
4. Add onion and cheese to an ovenproof dish, drizzle with some oil. Put in oven for 5-10 min, until cheese gets some colour and the onion turns soft.
5. In a bowl, combine cream and ketchup. Add chilli powder to taste.
6. Cut banana and bacon. Fry the bacon in a pan.
7. Take the dish out of the oven and poor over the cream sauce. Sprinkle banana, bacon and peanuts on top. Put back into the oven for another 15 minutes. Serve with rice.
Recommended products for this recipe
Learn more about...
Newest recipes from our blog
The book shelf: