Red lentils and spinach stew M
Red lentils and spinach stew recipe. There's nothing duller and tasteless than lentil soup, right? Well not this one - you're in for a treat. The blend of the masala spices makes this stew a winner! Serve with jasmine or basmati rice.
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 red onion
2 garlic cloves
2,5 cm knob of fresh ginger
1 serrano pepper or jalapeno pepper
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. garam masala
1/4 tsp. Coriander powder
400 ml tomatoes, diced (from can is fine)
1 tsp. sea salt
400 ml coconut milk
200 g red lentils
60 g baby spinach
1. In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil. Sauté the onion over medium-high heat until soft, 5 minutes.
2. Mince garlic, ginger and Serrano pepper. Add the garlic, ginger, Serrano, cumin, garam masala, and coriander to the onion. Cook until very fragrant, 2 minutes.
3. Pour in the tomatoes, scraping up any brown bits that formed on the bottom of the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has reduced and the tomato chunks have softened, 5 minutes.
4. Add the coconut milk and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the lentils and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until the lentils are tender, 25-35 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the lentils from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
5. Fold in the spinach and cook until wilted, 3 minutes. Serve with rice, preferably jasmine rice or basmati rice.
Recommended products for this recipe
Learn more about...
Newest recipes from our blog
The book shelf: