Palak paneer (green sauce)
Palak paneer is an indian dish made with palak (indian for spinach) paneer (indian cheese). You can make your own paneer cheese at home, it's really easy and only include two ingredients. Read more.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
600 g fresh spinach
1 yellow onion
4 garlic cloves
a piece fresh ginger (1.5 Tbsp. when minced)
1-2 green chillies
1 dl of cream
Butter and oil for frying
2 dl of water
2 Tbsp. dried fenugreek leaves (optional)
2 tsp. garam masala
1 tsp. cumin seeds (can be replaced with ground cumin)
1 tsp. coriander powder
0.5 tsp. turmeric
About 1-2 tsp. chilli powder (adjust the heat to taste)
Salt & pepper
1. Put the spinach in a saucepan. Cover with water and boil for 2 minutes. Strain the spinach and then rinse with cold water. This will make the spinach retain its lovely green colour. When the spinach has drained, add to a blender and mix it smoothly. Add water if its hard to mix. Put aside.
2. Finely chop the onions, mince the garlic, mince the ginger, chop the tomatoes into small dices, and finely chop the chillies.
3. Heat oil and some butter in a frying pan. Fry garlic, ginger, cumin seeds and garam masala for about 1 minute. Add onion and chilli and fry until the onion gets some colour. Add tomato, the rest of the spices and fry some more.
4. Add the minced spinach and some water (start with about 1 dl). Bring to a boil and allow simmering covered with a lid for about 15-20 minutes. Stir every now and then, making sure the sauce doesn’t burn.
5. Taste and season if needed. Add cream and simmer for 3 minutes.
6. Cut the paneer cheese into cubes and add to the sauce. You can also fry the paneer in some oil, before adding to the sauce if you like. After adding cheese let simmer for about 4 minutes. Serve with rice and naan bread.
Recommended products for this recipe
Learn more about Indian cooking:
The book shelf: Indian cooking