Italian Lemon Cookies I
Italian lemon cookies. Crumbly Italian lemon cookies cover with a fresh lemon glaze.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons cornstarch
zest & juice of one lemon (2 Tbsp.)
a pinch salt
3/4 cup +2 Tbsp. butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, strained
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
zest of 1 lemon
1. In a bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour, cornstarch, salt and lemon zest.
Beat the butter and sugar with a stand mixer or a hand mixer on medium speed for 3-5 minutes, until fluffy.
2. Add half the flour and lemon juice and beat to combine. Add the remaining flour and form a dough with a wooden spoon.
3. Roll the dough into a 1 1/2 inches thick roll and transfer to a parchment paper.
Carefully roll the parchment paper around the dough and put in the fridge for one hour.
4. After one hour, take out the dough from the fridge. Cut the dough into 1/2 inch thick slices and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Put back in the fridge for another 20 minutes.
5. Pre-heat oven to 320F
6. Bake the cookies in the oven for 5 minutes, then raise the temperature to 350F and continue to bake for 9-10 minutes. When the cookies are light gold in colour, they are done. Take out the cookies from the oven and transfer to a wire rack. Let them cool completely.
7. In a bowl whisk together the lemon juice, powdered sugar and zest until smooth.
8. Coat the cooled cookies with lemon glaze and let the glaze set before you enjoy the cookies.
Recommended products for this recipe
Learn more about cookies
Newest recipes from our blog
The book shelf: Cookies