Carbonara with zucchini
500 g of fusilli pasta
1 large or 2 small zucchinis
3 garlic cloves
200 ml cream (single or light, 12-20% fat)
3 egg yolks
3 tablespoons olive oil
70 g fresh spinach
50 g Parmesan
3 tablespoons butter
Salt and pepper
1. Cook the pasta 2 minutes shorter than what’s instructed on package, drain the pasta but save one cup of pasta water. Keep the pasta warm.
2. Cut the zucchini julienne, e.g. into thin, long stripes like matches.
3. Slice the garlic thinly.
4. In a large frying pan heat the olive oil. Add zucchini, garlic and fry on medium heat for 3 minutes; the garlic should not take colour.
5. Add the pasta to a large bowl, add the zucchini, garlic, spinach, butter and cream and stir.
6. Add the egg yolks and some of the pasta water. Make sure the pasta is not too hot at this stage, as this will make the egg yolks into scrambled eggs. The pasta should be warm bot not too hot. Stir until you get a creamy and smooth sauce. Taste with salt and pepper.
7. Grate the Parmesan and mix in. Done!
Recommended products for this recipe
Learn more about Japanese food
Newest recipes from our blog
The book shelf: Japanese cooking