400 g of halloumi
1 Tbsp. grated ginger
3 cloves of garlic
400 grams of crushed tomato
3 dl cream (35% -40% fat content)
50 g butter
1 dl water
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 teaspoon cardamom
0.5 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon cumin seeds or regular cumin
1 tablespoon chilli powder (can be replaced with paprika powder)
1. Chop onions and chilli. Grate the ginger and garlic. In a pan, heat butter. Fry the onions, chilli, ginger, garlic and all spices while stirring.
2. Add tomato paste and fry a little more. Add the crushed tomatoes, 1 dl water, mix and let the sauce simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes.
3. Pour in the cream, season with sugar and simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
4. Cut halloumi into cubes, and fry in a completely dry frying pan and until it gets a little bit brown. Add to the sauce and let it simmer another 5-6 minutes.
5. Serve the pot with jasmine or basmati rice or naan bread.
Recommended products for this recipe
Learn more about Indian food
Newest recipes from our blog
The book shelf: Indian cooking