Cilbir - Turkish poached egg in yoghurt sauce I
Cilbir is a Turkish breakfast with a poached egg in creamy yoghurt and hot chilli butter.
1 Tbsp. vinegar
¾ cup yogurt, preferably Turkish or Greek
1 garlic clove, minced
3-4 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. olive oil
1.5 tsp. pulbiber, Turkish chilli flakes (can be substituted with chilli flakes or chilli powder)
Bread, like pita bread
1. Mix yogurt, garlic and salt in a bowl. Let rest at room temperature.
2. In a saucepan, bring plenty of water to a boil. Add vinegar and mix. Lower heat to a simmer.
3. Crack the egg in a small bowl.
4. With a spoon stir in the saucepan until a vortex is formed in the hot water. Carefully pour the egg into centre of the vortex. Allow the egg to be poached for 3-4 minutes.
5. In a frying pan, heat butter and olive oil. Fry the pulbiber or chilli flakes for a few seconds without burning it.
6. Pour the yogurt onto a plate; add the egg, top with the chilli butter and fresh mint. Serve with bread, like pita.
Recommended products for this recipe
Learn more about...
Newest recipes from our blog
The book shelf: